Friday, May 27, 2011

Milestone or Millstone?

Events on May 19, 2011 (my 60th Birthday) were uplifting at a crucial point for me - and I thank everyone for supporting me when I needed it.  The sending of lovenotes and texts and phone calls and Skype and email and American Greetings and FB, etc. etc - renewed my flagging spirits.  And the entire day was spent connecting with friends and family - both in the States and here in the Philippines.

Actually, I arose early - before dawn - and stumbled for the CR (comfort room - or bathroom) - but stopped after opening the door leading to the CR. There on the kitchen wall in front of me, where my flashlight spotlighted them, were two copulating tuko.  I must say that they were rather complaisant in their endeavor and seemed frozen - giving me time to retrieve my camera and take their photo.  I took this as an auspicious omen for my 60th year, although I'm not quite sure what it means and am trying to locate a local healer to understand the import.

I ventured into Puerto early so I could get wi fi and connect with friends in the States...one of my favorite places is Heavenly Desserts, where the food tastes similar to American standards - they even have a taco (no, not real cheese, but it's close).  I ran into the head of the Peace Corps language instruction who was here on vacation - and leaving with about 10 others for Tubbataha Reef.  I'm saving my pennies for that excursion.  Lots of fun talk with them about their trip and excitement was rampant.  As he left, Edmund bought me my own personal birthday cake!!!  What a treat.

Katie sent me an American Greetings card - animated with her personal message spoken by a squirrel (we have a history with squirrels) - and I cracked up - tears rolling down my face as I laughed...and people watching an old white woman laughing out loud - fun. 

And, that evening, many of us convened at the church for my formal 60th Birthday party!


The custom here is that the birthday person pays for the festivities - but I had told them that I had no money to put on an entire party...so my family pitched in to grill fish, make an incredible chicken stew, veggies,


 and, of course, I purchased plenty of cake.













Gilda Rosario - my sister here


So, I ended the day revived, and feeling loved.  I would say it was a Milestone birthday, and I haven't felt a bit of the Millstone yet!!


With Jane and JoAnn







Brix and his Lola Winnie and Katarina

No comments:

Post a Comment