Friday, May 27, 2011

CONSUMER REPORTS – HOUSEHOLD ESSENTIALS Summer, 2011


CONSUMER REPORTS – APPLIANCES and HOUSEHOLD ESSENTIALS
Summer, 2011

This is the 2nd part to our Summer Household issue.  Appliances were covered separately, and we now address the conveniences that make a household work.

HOUSEHOLD ESSENTIALS

These are those essentials to daily life here on Palawan.  Again, this is only based on my location – we do not have earthquakes, typhoons or volcanoes like most of the Philippines, but Puerto Princesa is named The City in the Forest for a reason.


1.   Bug spray 

1.       I use two kinds – one for the normal crawling bugs (ants, cockroaches, etc) and a more powerful one for the fleas.  They say that termites are another story all together, so I just listen to their munching in the walls and as long as they stay in their house, I don’t bother them. I’ve been spraying daily in certain areas and I just hope that I’m not harming the tuko lizards, whose food is the ipis (cockroach).  They seem to be going outside more, and sleeping inside because there are fewer cockroaches…I hope.


2.      







    2.  The kalambo, or mosquito net 
      I keep it up at all times.  I’m sad to say that not everything is kept out by my net, and I have nightly ant visits when I go to bed.  Oddly, they mostly stay for 15 minutes – falling into my bed, and then leave me alone.  However, this net is wonderful – big enough to not be claustrophobic and keeps the majority of buggies out.


 
 3.  The map of the Philippines is nice, but it’s actually the mirror that I’ve needed
     ........in some cases to see what is crawling on my back.  Novo sells these in fashion colors (the other side of this one is bright blue to accommodate a variety of décor) and it only costs Php 35 (so I bought two)


    4.  A place to hang your clothes purchased at the Ukay-Ukay store.

I now frequent them only when there is a sale – the last one was ridiculous – Php 5 for each article – I spent 50 and brought home 10 blouses (boy do I sweat here).  This is just a pipe hanging from the wall by wire…I’ll build a shelf on top – one thing you learn is to never leave anything on the floor.


    5.  Plastic storage tubs.


These at least discourage critters from entering – several of the smaller ants have easy access to just about anything they want, but the larger dudes can’t get in.  If you get desperate (As I have-ants were eating my chocolate graham crackers!), you can put these nice tubs in the Ref. 

6.  A larger mirror

       Just bought this larger mirror yesterday at Unitop for Php 59 – great to see more of my body (that’s not quite what I meant)….it helps to see what all of you looks like rather than just your head. 

    7.  A flashlight


Essential to scout out where the centipede or cockroach or scorpion or termite mound might be, and to make sure you don’t step on a frog during your nightly trip to the john.


 8.  The Gas Stove
 
Obviously you need the propane for this to work, but, doesn’t Kris Aquino look nice on the box?  She is the sister of the President and endorses more products than you can imagine – a close 2nd to Manny Pacquiao.
       

    9. Purified Water
       A MUST – even for folks who live here.  There are just too many amoebas in the water.  I returned my REI filtration system at the recommendation of a PCV, but kind of wish I had it here.  However, Keith’s Aquifer is just down the road and it costs Php 35 for them to deliver  a 5 gallon blue jug of water to my door.  Great deal.
          

    10.  Laundry Essentials


This and a clothesline is all you need for your laundry – really.  It takes a while to do, and I usually have a good backache at the end, but the entire bathroom is clean (I finally figured out what to do to not have water all over the place – just do the laundry in the shower!) and the clothes are ready to hang – oh yes, you will need an inside and an outside line – clothes have a difficult time drying in the driving rain.
                     

    11.  Bathroom (CR) Essentials
 
      And this is all you need in the bathroom/shower!  The toilet scrubber, the tile scrubber and the bucket and tabo (think of it as a primitive bidet).  This shot will also be seen in the ‘before’ and ‘after’ shots of the duplex, showing the improvement of the CR (Comfort Room).
         
    12.  This is the wonderful walis (broom)                 

It looks nice next to my framed art on the wall, so I leave it there (it’s also at the ready for intruders)

  
    13.   And, the most essential  – ELECTRICITY, however you can get it.  
                 And these shots show just a few ingenious ways to get electricity where you want it!  
 
The original building

Goes with any decor

At least the fuse box is accessible - in the middle of the living room
No electrical outlets in the kitchen...so from the bedroom, through a hole in the screen


          OMgosh - forgot another essential - shown so well in the last photo - the versatile DUCT TAPE!!


Please contact me if you have comments or updates to these recommendations – remember that where you live may dictate your own favorite Essentials.  Goodbye for now.













No comments:

Post a Comment