Friday, May 27, 2011

Consumer Reports - Appliances - Summer, 2011


CONSUMER REPORTS – APPLIANCES and HOUSEHOLD ESSENTIALS
Summer, 2011

In America, we have many conveniences that one doesn’t find here in the Philippine provinces.  However, I did want my friends to know what living on your own here looks like – and have compiled a Consumers Report of sorts, rating what I consider the best appliances and household essentials.  This first Report deals with electrical appliances.

APPLIANCES

#1    Hands down Winner:  The Electric Fan

This morning, we had another brown out (defined as a sudden cessation of electrical current, causing all machinery to stop abruptly and for an indefinite period of time), and the true value of this item was felt with its absence.  Comes in a variety of sizes, configurations (standing, wall and desk), power (household and industrial), and quality (from Japanese motors to local brands).  I purchased two Asahi fans which are convertible to any configuration, although I run them in the standing position (so that I can be seated 3 inches away from them to efficiently force the sweat off me).  Note, however, that during the summer months (granted, we are only talking two months), that these are “fans” and not “air con” – thus they forcibly blow 40C (104F) HOT air in your face, which rather defeats the purpose.  During the rest of the year, however, these double as an efficient way to keep mosquitoes from landing on you, and do a good job drying clothes indoors during the rainy season (about 8 hours dry time).

Recommendation:  If you are not of the elite class who should purchase air conditioning and a backup generator, this is THE Essential appliance for you!    
JoR Wholesale, Rizal Avenue – Php 1,720 each


#2   Gastronomic Tie:  The Ref and the Electric Blender

Of course you know that all reviews and recommendations are biased and rarely represent what you, yourself find appealing – that little man falling down in the theatre rarely captures my feelings for films.  Thus, one must have a penchant for ice to really understand the relative ranking of these two treasures.

 As many appliances, the ref is used for several purposes.  My favorite is freezing ice and keeping water cold so that I can use the Electric Blender to make mango popsicles and banana smoothies.  I also use it as a storage unit for foods that ants seem to like as much as me.  I’ve used it to store food trash after dinner before I take it to the outdoor trash bin to limit the fruit flies, cockroaches and ants (I’ve counted 7 types here so far, but that’s another story).  The top also serves as storage of a myriad of items, from plates and glasses to plastic bins of spices.  Be sure to look at the electric efficiency ratings on various models – I saw dinosaurs with a 107 rating – My Panasonic is 270 and I feel good about that.  Prices are ridiculous – small off-brand refs and dinosaurs cost only slightly less than good brands that will last for years..well, probably.  I shopped around for this expensive item – which cost me twice the total moving allowance that Peace Corps gives us to outfit our new abode ($120).  I saw tiny models for Php 6,000, and acceptable ones for Php 10,000…But, for 2,000 more, I bought an enormous Panasonic  7.7.  My thought was that when I leave it for an NGO, it should be large enough to serve the children.   And, I do love the freezer! 
JR Wholesale, Rizal Avenue  - Php 12,240


The electric blender (not pictured) is a needed companion appliance for my daily smoothie consumption (although as it was in use, it could not be photographed before post time).  I bought the heavier Asahi stainless steel version because I knew I was going to chop ice.  However, I did not know that smoothies would become my breakfast (and often my dinner) of choice!  So, this appliance is performing hard labor and does a wonderful job:  4 lakatan bananas (the sweeter type), 1 tablespoon of milk powder, ½ tsp of molasses sugar and a tray of ice – YUM.  Obviously there are mango and papaya smoothies as well – and each of these freezes nicely in the Popsicle forms I purchased at NCCC on the 3rd floor.  I do wish that Asahi would have considered that most floors here are concrete and made their blender lid shatter resistant…since chipping it, it can become rather messy in the kitchen.  I also cover all the smaller appliances at night with a sheet, and do not wish to explain in detail here the reason why.  In any case, if ice is your thing – you need these two appliances!
JR Wholesale, Rizal Avenue   - Php 1,500

#3  Warm Comforts - Electric Hot Water Pot

As much as I love ice, I love Milo in the morning – especially with pandesal.  It is so much easier for one person to heat a cup of water in the Electric Pot than an entire kettle on the expensive propane stove. 
Sales people at one of the two department stores on the island will regale you with why you should have the more expensive model…as always, when you are white, it is assumed that you have money to spend.  They still seem to like me well enough, but I consistently dash their hopes of lucrid sales.  I chose the small, less expensive model of Asahi at Unitop, and have regretted doing so.  Already, the automatic shut off has somehow broken – often the large plume of vapor alerts me that my water is beyond warm.  Actually, I’m going to take a Milo break…     sadly, it really will not shut off – but Milo on a rainy season afternoon is quite nice.  Highly recommended (the more expensive version) – within seconds you have a cup of hot liquid and I’ve even used it to heat up water quickly to use in my rice cooker. (Editor's postscript:  Debra's lack of engineering skills was obvious - her electric pot's shut off works fine - purchase the less expensive model).
Unitop Department Store (the only store with an escalator in town), Malvar Street  Php 599

#4  Suck it up!! - Hand held Vacuum Cleaner
Ah, one of my daughter's favorite epithets to me...
Again, this recommendation is based on my living conditions – I live in a duplex whose exterior is concrete, with some of the interior walls concrete as well.  However, the interior ceilings and walls are made of woven Nipa palms – and thoroughly infested with termites.  I grew up in California, and saw television ads with those horrible mobile vans with big black threatening bugs on top promising to rid your home of whatever infestation you had.  I never understood the problem….and, now I know.  When I moved in, one room had not been cleaned – there was literally ½ inch of dust on every exposed piece of wood.  I assumed that the former occupants had left cardboard on the floor and it had glued itself down…when I began cleaning I discovered that the red earthen look was in fact that – a termite mound was being built in the 2nd bedroom!!!  I have since scraped most evidence of the mound away, but the little buggers still live in the wall – it is not the pop, pop, pop of Rice Krispies you hear in my house.  I scoured the stores here on Palawan and could not find a small vacuum cleaner like a Dustbuster – you need to get into those small spaces with this problem.  So, while in Manila for a conference, I canvassed stores at Robinson’s Mall, and finally found a great little vacuum on Easter Sundy.  Lucky for me there was a ½ price sale only for that weekend – and this little machine has sucked up more termite poop and flea eggs and dead roaches than I want to think about.  Highly recommended for peace of mind and smooth, unbitten skin. (Not pictured - much too dusty to appear online)
The Home Shop, Robinson’s Mall, Metro Manila  Php 5,000….marked down to 2,500!!

#5  Everyone's Staple - The Rice Cooker
 I must admit that I have not used this appliance as yet.  One reason is that I am sick of rice, although that is not the main reason.


Although Brenda and Mario lent me their propane tank, I haven’t had enough money to rationalize filling it up – it costs nearly Php 1,000 versus 500 for a gallon of paint.  So, I’ve opted to paint the walls rather than cook meat which goes with rice.  Additionally, although I had the tank, I only recently bought the pipe and valve.     The tank weighs a ton even empty and I’ve not yet figured out how I will have it filled – probably will ask a trike driver to do so and will pay him to lug it back in.   So, although I have only cooked spaghetti in my rice cooker (it did an admirable job), I would recommend getting one as I did, with the non-stick finish.  I’ve seen what happens without it and it’s not pretty... reminding me of traumatic times growing up when  I left something too long in the pot…and the long job of soaking, scouring and scraping to get the black out.  For a single person, I only got a 3 quart Hanabishi brand (although every Filipino who has seen it sneers at its size)
JR Wholesale, Rizal Avenue  Php 850

I’m sure that there are more appliances you were hoping to see, but this is all that I have…I may get a toaster oven, although those are Php 3,000, so I may not need toast or cookies and will just stick with the banana smoothies!!

No comments:

Post a Comment