Friday, September 9, 2011

Vent message to my Manager in Manila (not sent)

I was sooo frustrated by this ridiculous escapade today that I wrote a nasty note to my manager.  It was hard for me not to send it, but I resolved most of my frustrations by amending what I had written - you can probably decide which color of print is my commentary.






Hi (note the lack of the respectful "po" here) -

I have not experienced good service from the PCMO, but today I was ecstatic when Dr. F called to say there was a dermatologist here in Puerto that I could see (I thought that this would redeem them for prescribing the wrong medicine,  forgetting to send meds, telling me that people overdramatized snake activity here - yea but it was a hooded king cobra...jeez,..).  He also said he doubts that it is the cutaneous leishmaniasis  I found online, although the symptoms (and pictures) certainly fit.  I sent about 20 pictures of my extremities to him with the info I found online. (so he was well aware that I have about 200 blisters all over me and am not in a tea party mood).  When I spoke with him he told me to go this doctor (with a wonderful soothing name) and have her look at me - that the PC would reimburse me if I had to pay (which meant I had to stop by the bank before going).  Then he texted the following:  Dr. Ma. Isabel Ferrer-Divinagracia. No. 5 Lustre Blg, Rizal Ave. Puerto Princesa.    I tried to find more information online, but couldn't find a number (because there aren't many numbers here - just directions like the second house from the standard bank office) or better address, so did as he said - 

I hopped on a trike and we trolled Rizal Ave. (pleasing neither the trike driver nor the other passenger - who was facing my less blistered arm, and quite old so that she probably couldn't see anyway).  Nothing, so I got out and went into a hotel (the Skylight Hotel if you'd like to know - where the women were most helpful, but inaccurate) and asked and they directed me to the Rizal Extension near the airport.  So, I hopped on another trike (the driver wanted more money, but by this time, the bitch was beginning to stir, and he got 2 pesos more than the standard rate - but not the white American rate) and went there, but found nothing.  I walked around with my many open blisters being increasingly bathed in heat and sweat (yes, by now, I was pissed) and asked at various businesses (in my fabulous old lady Tagalog) - no knowledge of a Lustre Bldg (one man told me it was in San Pedro and I almost decked him - that's where I live and where this fiasco began 2 hours previously...but then I remembered my cultural training - Pilipinos will tell you anything, but they won't tell you that they don't know - look up "saving face." So I smiled a rather wretched smile and walked on).  Finally saw a sign on the ARL Bldg (the ARL - WTF - how does that approximate LUSTRE???) for the doctor.  Went up, but they said she had moved to San Miguel next to the elementary school.  So, took another trike there, but couldn't find the place.  (We are now 2 hours and almost back to where we started - and not happy - or did you gather that?)

Texted Dr F for a phone number or additional info because I had tried for an hour to find the place (I did remember to not ask for a "better" address, but rather for any further details, and minimized the time.)  He texted back the number and said that I should "ask for directions because the address may have changed, also call for an appointment".(This is the "face saving" - obviously this time he took the time to find out if the doctor was still alive, where the place really was, called them and advised me - so very graciously in his text - to call for an appointment - although he knew I had been out looking for the doctor's office for over an hour)    

I was furious (actually I wanted to chew on someone and there is just no chocolate here that helps appease the bitch) so stopped for something to eat. (a terrible pizza with velveeta-like cheese - yuck, but crunchy enough for bone simulation).  I called the number and the dermatologist isn't even in today.  Maybe one day I will laugh at this ridiculous story - but it won't be today.

I haven't gone to work for 2 days (actually I have enjoyed that); have been to the doctor at Adventist (well, actually to the resident in the ER because they said all of the doctors are in Manila at a conference, huh?); been groggy on Benedryl (don't understand why anyone would like doggie downers) and feel really crummy - even in the air conditioning (and walking around the streets in the hot, humid rain...well, I didn't feel crummier - just meaner).  I look horrible (and that's an understatement - maybe scary is a better term), even though I am covered up (and sweating) - people still look at the blisters all over me and don't want to ride in a trike with me (I mean, I wouldn't want to - eew!).  I am just so tired of this kind of screwed up information, and today am saying so because I have no reserves (except the reserve to scream).   My medical dealings with the PCMOs have felt incompetent to me and I am upset (and need chocolate).  

Not happy (and if you even think of defending this behavior to me, I will hang up on you).  Will hopefully sleep off this foul mood (because I really do not like being soooo bitchy) and will talk with you at some point, but this issue regarding the PCMOs really needs to be addressed (although things like this never seem to) - have heard many complaints and seen really questionable or incomplete advice given, including today's. .

Goodnight (as in - my phone is off aka 'the doctor is out').


No comments:

Post a Comment