Thursday, September 16, 2010

My First Parasol and Hike

For someone who almost never sweats - except when sunning outside for hours, or hiking Pulgas Ridge at midday - this is quite an experience. Today I returned home literally dripping from head to toe after tutoring 20 high school students in English (in a small room without a fan and only one small window). I actually used my umbrella as a parasol for the first time in my life - it's that hot (and summer doesn't begin until March!!) I'm hoping that it works like a sauna and that I lose 20 pounds in 2 weeks...I've definitely dropped weight, but am still working on "sexy" which my host family thinks I'll get to soon.

I've been sick the last week or so with a bad 'ubo' (cough) that apparently has turned into bronchitis. The medical officer was here yesterday and handed me Cipro and another medication, so I'm hoping that I'm on the mend. Must admit, I probably aggravated things on Sunday - but I couldn't pass up the chance to go hiking to waterfalls...just didn't understand what 'hiking' here meant.

13 of us (trainees and our teachers) piled into a flatbed truck with the barangay captain, Bas Palo, and his rescue team. We drove far outside the paved roads of Old Cabalan and forded the local river several times until we came to the end of the road at Purok 14...finding this slightly skinnier version of our village dog.The Purok manager met us and led us on our trek....I was rather dizzy from my two days of being sick and really pooped out fast. The 24 year olds didn't tire out quite so quickly and for the first time I felt old, sigh...I've deluded myself so long!!

We traipsed through a jungle of rainforest, but didn't see any snakes or lethal bugs. A few of us slipped and fell a few times, but no major mishaps. After 2 hours, we arrived at the lower falls and I watched, utterly chagrined, as our guides set ropes up the cliff, preparing us for the climb to the upper falls. I said forlornly to my teacher - "I can't do it." So, they had a teenager from the village be my yaya and babysit me while everyone pulled themselves up the hill using the rope.










I was so exhausted and hot that I enjoyed the couple hours rest and swam in the falls - blessedly cool in the 90F heat. I thought I was refreshed, but as we began the 2 hour return, I found I was beat and felt badly that I was bringing up the rear with my yaya, who really looked out for me. We met some members of the indigenous Aetes tribe on the way back who were very friendly - the height of their leader reached my elbow. Onward, back to the village and a lovely meal of crayfish, native chicken and rice - family style, eaten with fingers. The best part of the trip for me was the swim in the river at the village - complete with an 8' deep pool, into which boys were diving from a rock 20' above...crazy. The water was lukewarm and wonderful...and although the excursion probably exacerbated my sickness - it was well worth it!!

With any luck, our supervisor will approve our going to the beach this Sunday - all this time in the Philippines and we really haven't been to a swimmable beach (eg without trash). We are incredibly busy M-S and only have Sunday off - language classes M-F from 8-12 and technical training from 1-5, and special events on Saturdays. Just living is time consuming - washing clothes by hand and hoping they dry within two days and helping with dinner, playing games with the kids and doing my homework - I fall into bed around 10pm to the hum of my ever-needed fan.

1 comment:

  1. Oh mom you are so predictable! Stop killing yourself with fun! Although I would say dying whilst hiking to beautiful tropical falls is an acceptable way to die, you are there for 2 more YEARS! Don't die now when you have so many more adventures to experience and places to explore!

    I'm living vicariously through you!

    ~K

    ReplyDelete