Saturday, June 26, 2010

OMG - it's for real!

Got the call on June 8th and my dreams from my teenage years with JFK are going to be realized!

The Dream:
Debbie to Liz in 7th grade: "When I grow up I want to go into the Peace Corps"
Deb to Dave in 1984: "When we retire, let's go into the Peace Corps"
Mom to Ashley and Katie in 2004: "I've always wanted to go into the Peace Corps"

The Reality:
August, 2009 - Application and interview with request for a warm climate ("No problem")
December, 2009 - Nominated to train teachers - WTF?? in Azerbaijan?? (FREEZING)
Christmas, 2009 - Liz gives Deb silk underwear for Azerbaijan.
February, 2010 - Completed 40 pages of medical forms after 2 months of doctor visits
May, 2010 - Notified that am medically cleared
June, 2010 - Phone call tells me that I cannot go to Azerbaijan due to medical history and asks if I would accept a different job and different region (at this point I'm actively sending telepathic visualizations of palm trees and hot sands).

I may have overdone the heat telepathy a bit - I'm scheduled to depart August 19th for the Philippines as a Youth Teacher and Advisor to disadvantaged youth!!


For those of my friends who are freaking out...please go to this information that the Peace Corps publishes for you: http://www.peacecorps.gov/index.cfm?shell=resources.faf


OMG - after all of the waiting - I'm in high gear and high anxiety mode!





No comments:

Post a Comment